[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Steven King steve at madrogue.com
Tue Apr 27 09:34:34 CEST 2004

cruise wrote:

> Naturally, this incrase and decrease is not linear - lower levels
> increase quicker, higher levels degrade quicker - so it's easy to
> pick up a skill to an adequate level and keep it there, but to be
> absolutely king of the hill requires time and focus, as you'd
> expect.

Each skill in a system such as this would likely have it's own
increase/decrease rates, which could range from near-linear to
extreme near-"S" curves (difficult to learn, easy to increase,
difficult to master).  Some could even be stair-steps.  I would
think that atrophy would have a delay period and the initial rate
would be very small, allowing for some time for the character to
"lose" his skill level.  It's also quite possible that some skills
could be the ying and yang of each other where learning more of one
causes the other to decrease.  The beauty of this system is that the
player never knows, he just plays.  He's always getting better at
whatever he does to the point of being a master of that skill.

Returning to the subject of selling characters online, a character
in this system may change hands, but he will always be evolving
according to the player's style.  That master weaponsmith could
become worthless as a weaponsmith if the buyer never smithed
weapons.

Steve