[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Freeman, Jeff jfreeman at soe.sony.com
Thu Aug 5 18:07:35 CEST 2004

From: Byron Ellacott

> That's true, but Raph was speaking about retention.  Force,
> encourage, require social interaction and you presumably forge
> bonds that people are reluctant to sever by leaving the game.

I have a hard time accepting this as fact, personally, because it
hasn't ever worked to keep me playing a game.

I play with the one or two other people that I came to play with,
and if the game forces me to play alone or with people other than
those, then I quit.

I understand that I might be atypical, when I am in an understanding
mood.  The rest of the time I think the 'evidence' of this effect is
pretty weak.