[MUD-Dev] Long-Term Rewards [was: Better Combat]

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Fri Aug 6 04:03:42 CEST 2004

John Buehler wrote:

> I submit that Achaea is a success, yet its graphics stink.  It's
> not better.  It just provides entertainment that enough people
> want to experience.

I'm hurt that you don't find our colorful ascii maps on par with
Doom 3's graphics. Hurt, I tell you.

You're right on though. Just like in any market you can try to
become a market leader or you can try to find your niche. The other
games (Imperian, Aetolia) that we've released were not trying to
compete with Everquest (which didn't exist when Achaea was
opened). We can't give people what they find in Everquest, and
Everquest can't give people what they find in Achaea. That's the
key: Differentiation. As long as you don't define success as being
financially comparable to the largest players out there (ie a moving
target), you're free to simply make a game that some people
like. There are LOTS of groups of "some people" out there who are
looking for kinds of experience the hugest worlds simply cannot
provide by virtue of their size.

--matt