[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Fri Aug 6 18:36:35 CEST 2004

Craig Huber wrote:
> Byron Ellacott wrote:

>> Or, as you said, defense won't get your opponent to 0 or fewer
>> hit points.  It's just not limited to D&D style combat - all
>> combat follows this property.

>> (If someone has a counterexample, I would love to hear it!)

> A couple of potential counter-examples:

> Victory through resource depletion I'm not a boxing aficianado, so
> I can't give a specific bout as an example.  However, if you
> picked any 10 boxing matches that went beyond round 10, I am
> fairly certain you would find at least one where the victory was
> credited to allowing the opponent to wear themselves out with an
> aggressive/offensive burst at the beginning of the match against
> effective defensive maneuvering.

One of the most famous fights of all time could be used as an
example: Foreman vs. Ali in Kinshasa: The Rumble in the
Jungle. Foreman was heavyweight champ, Ali was looking to take back
the title (and be the second person ever to do that). Ali's
strategy? He sat on the ropes and let Foreman tire himself out
through trying to beat the crap out of Ali.  Worked beautifully. By
round 6, Foreman was visibly tired and Ali was still pretty
fresh. Obviously defence ALONE won't win a fight, but defence can
turn the fight into a foregone conclusion, with offence playing the
role of simply mopping up what's left of the opponent.

Personal example: I competed in the US Open for Brazilian jiu-jitsu
last year. It was my first major tournament in jiu-jitsu and I was a
bit nervous. Didn't eat well that morning and was high-strung all
morning until it came my turn to fight. I started off dominating my
opponent completely. He played defence, though largely out of not
being able to do anything offensive. Halfway through the match, my
body completely ran out of energy (poor eating that morning +
nervousness = massive energy drain) and it was a cinch for him to
finish me off with some extremely lame offence.

--matt