[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Fri Aug 6 18:46:31 CEST 2004

Byron Ellacott wrote:

> The original quote, from
> https://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2004Q3/msg00243.php:

>    Raph Koster wrote:

>>     We may not like it, but all empirical evidence at the moment
>>     seems to show that requiring cooperative team play for
>>     success causes greater retention.

> Raph, or anyone else, could you clarify which empirical evidence
> has shown this, or offer an alternative explanation for why this
> is so?

I can say that for our game, which is admittedly quite different
from most MMOs, that the more group based tools that we create the
better our retention numbers have been. This is also true of
conversions. That is likely due, however, tho the fact that as a war
simulation, groups are the primary vehicle for success. Lone players
do not have the ability to impact the larger game the way that a
group can, though there is still rewarding experience available for
dolo play or "lone wolfing".

A timeline of conversion, retention and features points to this
pretty clearly.

-Dana V. Baldwin