[MUD-Dev] Better Combat (long)

Matt Monaghan mkm25 at cantab.net
Sun Aug 8 00:41:51 CEST 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:49:19 -0400, Paul Schwanz
<pschwanz at comcast.net> wrote:
> Brendan O'Brien wrote:

> Of course, if my intent is to present a combat system that
> measures up to the subtlety and efficiency of chess, it should be
> apparent that I've failed miserably.  While the complexity side of
> things seems relatively easy to solve, it is quite difficult to do
> so in the same sort of incisive manner that chess manages.
> Nevertheless, as I said, I consider this a work in progress moreso
> than a failure.  My aim is to move MOG combat in that direction,
> and I hope I've had some marginal success in that regard.

Thanks, that was an interesting read.  But I've got a question :)

  If the combat gameplay is similar in complexity to chess, even
  blitz chess, doesn't that mean the mob AI has to play several
  !yhundred chess games in parallel?

If chess-like games (where solutions are exponential in time) are
the most "fun", doesn't this mean computers have no realistic chance
of being powerful enough to play lots of them at once?  If the mobs
won't be very good at this chess-like combat is PvE in such a system
a dead end?

You could run the mob AI on the client, but I'm sure everyone here
can see the result of that :)

thanks

--
Matt