[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Tom "cro" Gordon cro at alienpants.com
Sun Aug 8 19:25:22 CEST 2004

Saturday, August 7, 2004, 6:07:48 AM, Michael Hartman wrote:

>> The original quote, from:

>> https://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2004Q3/msg00243.php:

>>   Raph Koster wrote:

>>>    We may not like it, but all empirical evidence at the moment
>>>    seems to show that requiring cooperative team play for
>>>    success causes greater retention.

>> Raph, or anyone else, could you clarify which empirical evidence
>> has shown this, or offer an alternative explanation for why this
>> is so?

Way back when, we actually found that it wasn't required teamplay
that caused retention, it was actually just other people
playing. When we wanted to fill an online game server on a slow day,
we got a couple of staff (often just one) and joined. Then waited
until it filled, then left. There was no requirement for team play,
what worked was that there was someone to interact with.

This goes back to why consoles are popular for many people - it's a
pick up and play experience. This is also why client-server works in
online multiplayer, and peer to peer doesn't (as well).

Forcing people into groups never worked, and forcing people to only
participate in groups never worked.

That's my empirical evidence :)

Regards,
Tom "cro" Gordon