[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Tue Aug 10 19:34:09 CEST 2004

Brendan O'Brien wrote:

> I seriously doubt the truth of this statement.  I can't speak for
> Brad McQuaid or anyone else on the design team that developed EQ,
> but I have to believe they were trying to do more than just make a
> quick buck with the game.  I know it has received a lot of
> criticism for the way it fosters "addictive" behavior
> (Evercrack?), but do you really think that they sat down at each
> meeting to figure out the best way to turn a profit with every
> design decision?  At some point, they must have considered things
> like the "fun factor" and ways to advance the genre.  Besides, I
> seriously doubt the idea of "multi-boxing" was expected to become
> much of a factor at the time.

The fun factor exists because that's what people pay money for. If
advancing the genre garners more profit, go for it.

> I would expect most designers to hold themselves to somewhat of a
> more lofty ideal than what you suggest, similar, in many ways, to
> an artist.  When I read the various thoughts and musings of guys
> such as Raph Koster, I have very little doubt that he is out to do
> more than just turn a profit.  Sure, you always want to do that as
> well (can't stay in business long otherwise), but why make a
> statement suggesting that nothing else really matters?  It is
> quite possible to fail at what you are trying to do, even while
> you make money based on your efforts.  I believe a good designer
> *should* be trying to do more than count the pennies.  You need to
> let the accountants earn a living too...

I believe a good designer should be doing what he's hired to do, not
be a primadonna who wants to indulge himself. Raph was hired by a
subsidiary of a publically-traded company to help them make more
money and I have little doubt that's what Raph spends his work time
trying to do.

--matt