[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Fri Aug 13 01:37:39 CEST 2004

"Dana V. Baldwin" <dbaldwin at playnet.com> writes:

> In our desire to design the perfect game for ourselves we need to
> remember that the world is filled with customers who like many
> different things. The opinion expressed above could be and often
> is treated as gospel by many designers. "It's good for a single
> player game but terrible for an MMO!".

But there are some single-player games that are all-down-time
too... Like Myst? I don't disagree with people having different
tastes... But I think all that have been mudding for a long time
should ask themselves if the most memorable moments in their MUD
life occured in a-full-on-go-go-go-no-downtime... Maybe it did.

Then again, what is full-on-music without breaks...? Not very
powerful, unless you only play 5 minutes tracks. Is a
full-on-go-go-go design actually possible? Or is there always some
downtime?

Doesn't those memorable moments have any effect on rentention? I
believe many would claim that social events were the most memorable
events...

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/