[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Sun Aug 15 08:19:09 CEST 2004

Raph koster wrote:

> First, define "downtime." I'd say it is "moments during gameplay
> when you are not actively participating in a game choice."

>    - There's downtime when you are waiting for the optimal moment
>    to perform an action you have already decided on.

>    - There's downtime where you are prevented from performing an
>    action.

>    - There's downtime to rest up the player (physically or
>    psychologically).

>    - There's downtime to optimally prepare for a subsequent game
>    choice (some of the preparation may involve choices in itself,
>    but some may not, such as sitting to recover mana or HPs).

>    - ...I'm sure there are more. Fundamentally, there's downtime
>    that is resented and downtime that is not.

You mix here. There are downtimes happening as part of the game
(pacing, timing actions etc..) and there are downtimes that are a
break from the game. To incentivate and open a space for different
part (socialization).

With your list here you dodge the critic. Not answer it. You cannot
associate gameplay downtimes and out-of-gameplay downtimes. The
firsts are excused and indispensable, the seconds are broken design
to achieve artificially a different, external purpose from the game
itself.

And, by the way, "timing" IS a game choice.

-HRose / Abalieno