[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 18:25:23 CEST 2004

David Kennerly wrote:

> Downtime exists when and only when a system forces a user to
> remain idle, because the system disables all desired operations.
> Thus waiting a significant amount of time (say a couple minutes or
> more?)  for a carriage is downtime (if travel is the only current
> desire); waiting for health to recharge is downtime (if health is
> required to competently play).  Choosing to wait for an enemy to
> enter a trap before attacking it is a passive tactic.  Baiting is
> a user's choice; so it is not downtime.

This is what I've been meaning when I refer to downtime. Voluntary
delays (waiting to strike; setting an ambush; voluntary delays
between combat to drink potions, choose targets, discuss tactics,
and get into position) do not offend me. Involuntary delays (waiting
for an uncontrollable spaceship, riding a slow horse, sitting and
watching colored bars move up and down) that are unavoidable every
time I want to accomplish a goal (go from point A to point B, fight
mobs) are subscription breakers for me.

I wouldn't put a limit of "a couple minutes" on the amount of time
before it becomes downtime. For me, it becomes downtime as soon as I
notice it, which is single-digit seconds in most cases.