[MUD-Dev] PVP and perma-death

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Tue Aug 24 21:11:19 CEST 2004

HRose wrote:

> What I mean is that the design defines the behaviour and it's
> silly to design after a behaviour. The behaviour is consequent to
> the design, not causing the design. My rule is that if griefing
> happens in a game it means that the design of that game is bad. As
> simple as that. This is why a well designed game simply doesn't
> have to deal with griefers and doesn't need to create specific
> rules for them.

What "well designed games" are you thinking of that don't have
griefing issues?  I'd be very interested in examples of which games
you're thinking of.

I agree that the prevalence of griefing behaviors are a sign of
social pathology, and that this comes from inadequate social design
(I don't just mean chat or guilds or buddy lists either).  But I
think you're overstating the case considerably to say that any game
with griefing has a bad design and that good games don't have to
deal with griefing.

Mike Sellers
Online Alchemy