[MUD-Dev] PVP and perma-death [NEW THEME] After Deployment

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Wed Aug 25 04:11:17 CEST 2004

Tiago Carita wrote:

>> About the perma-death I simply think that is possible only if the
>> entire game is designed after it. No way to apply it on top of
>> another game/structure.

> What About if you are a Designer designated to save an ongoing
> Game?  You probably cannot Delete all Game Play and redo it all in
> a game in progress??

> Shouldn't you try to create extra semi external rules that could
> lead to control the game?

> Or you think that it's a situation of Sudden Death?

Perma-death is a complex part of a game. You cannot apply it to DAoC
or EQ, for example. Or better, you could, but not without loosing
nearly every subscribers. So the point of the whole question is
about how to integrate the perma-death without making the game less
fun and less accessible.

Yes, you could start working to implement that in a current game
world but you still need an insane amount of work that will change
completely the game. Still obviously assuming that you don't want
just to throw up a server specific for hardcore players.

The point is about the goal. You want it for a specific, hardcore
server (Diablo 2 does this)?  Or we are discussing perma-death as
something that should be fun and accessible for the bigger public?

In the first case you simply need to code it and tweak it so it will
have a sense and some depth. The second case, instead, is what I
commented. I think that it will need an huge amount of work to
create or tweak a game to incorporate it and still be accessible and
fun. There is a long list of problems to solve like, for example, a
death because you got lagged or disconnected.

But what you ask is even sillier: What About if you are a Designer
designated to save an ongoing Game?  Save an ongoing game? By
applying perma-death? It's obviously the very last thing I would
try.

This brings to a new point. Why should we need and want perma-death
in a game? My answer is that perma-death is useful and interesting
if you are designing the game specifically for this idea. Or you do
this from scratch, or you do this by creating a completely new
sub-game that still coexist with the other but that is supposed to
follow brand-new design ideas that are aimed to give some depth to
the new system.

But here we also go off-topic because we need to consider the whole
death system, the structure of the game and all the various
goals. Without a context the discussion becomes empty and
worthless. I'm currently discussing this elsewhere and I'm just
noticing how important is the context: - Perma-death applied to a
treadmill game like World of Warcraft is completely different to
perma-death applied to a skill-based game.  The context is all.

-Hrose / Abalieno