[MUD-Dev] SOC DGN - Spawn locations

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Wed Aug 25 04:25:19 CEST 2004

Brian Hook wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:18:54 -0500, Matthew Rick wrote:

>> The basic idea is to not have mobs spawn if there are players near
>> by.

> Griefing is a major potential opportunity here.  Park your guild
> in "hot spots" specifically to deny other players access to key
> mobs.

A better solution is about making the mobs spawn anyway but with a
"cool off" timer. So that a player will be aware that the mob is
spawing under his feet and will be able to move elsewhere if so he
chooses.

But this idea doesn't have the benefits listed in the original
message.

The difference is that I'm currently playing World of Warcraft where
they have a lot of similar problems with mobs appearing under your
feet right after you ended a fight. So it's an issue about player
awareness and monster aggressivity.

Instead if we consider a MUD you have probably different issues. A
better solution could be about spawning the mob in the first
location avaliable and then walk it till it's natural location. You
will still be able to simulate a natural behaviour by counting how
many mobs of that type are killed and making the number of spawns
dependent on that. In this way you have all the benefits of the
previous idea without resulting problems.

-Hrose / Abalieno