[MUD-Dev] SOC DGN - Spawn locations

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Aug 26 00:15:22 CEST 2004

J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> writes:

> I simply dislike the ideas of mobs spawning in predictable
> fashions.  Yeah, I know that in the end it simply maps to an
> object instantiation plus frippery, but in the subjective sense it
> reeks of overly tasteless efficiency.  There's not only no story
> in it,

Tasteless laziness maybe? Not only is it tasteless, it deprives the
players from lots of meaningful gameplay... Hunting for
instance. The sad thing is that players "stop" exploring the world
the moment they have located a XP-heaven spawn point. An inevitable
consequence of team-based treadmill designs (ruled by the vocal
twink majority).

Spawn points do make some sense in newbie areas, think of them as
well defined locations where get-to-know-eachother parties are held.

After that I dont see many reasons for having them, or rather I can
come up with alternative designs covering the reasons for having
them.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/