[MUD-Dev] Casual Crowd vs.Time Rich Crowd [was: Time Debt]

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 26 23:50:25 CEST 2004

Koster, Raph wrote:
> HRose wrote:

>> Players don't pay for a game they don't play.

> A disturbingly large number of them do, actually. Not all,
> obviously, but still a significant percentage. If you look at
> "unique player logins in a month" it just about never reaches
> 100%, nor does it match the churn rate (in other words, the people
> who do not log in also don't all quit). I don't have monthly
> figures handy, but you can have a game that shows 70% of the
> userbase logging in every week, and not have anywhere near 30% of
> them quitting--in fact, not even a tenth of them will quit.

In fact, at least some MMOs have subscriptions from people who
signed up on day 1 and have not logged in or created a character in
2-3 years. I wish I had something to sell these people.

But there are many reasons a player might not log in for shorter
periods of time. For instance, I'm currently subscribed to CoH and
AO. I haven't logged into AO for over a month and only played CoH
maybe 4-5 times in the last month. Why? Beta testing and general
busy-ness. Even though I haven't played much, I don't see any reason
to cancel my accounts yet. And they're paid a few months in advance
anyway, so even if I did cancel, it might not show up immediately.