[MUD-Dev] Better Combat (long)

David Kennerly kennerly at finegamedesign.com
Tue Aug 31 02:16:54 CEST 2004

Since you're conclusion is about the culture of videogames, I'll
discuss this.

Raph Koster wrote:

> We can observe a gradual move towards increased formalism and
> complexity in the development of almost any art form

In videogames, we can observe a gradual move towards increased
complexity in the development, for /less/ complexity in the
consumption.

> (sorry, Dave, but I'm a multidisciplinarian through and through)

No apology needed.  So am I.

> Given that games (in the formal sense) are formal mathematical
> constructs, I think there's an interesting question to be had
> there.

A game is a cultural construct.  In the formal sense, a game is a
formal ritual.  It is no more of a mathematical construct than a
molecule or a right triangle is.  Some mathematicians model games,
often as a recreation.  As a meta-game?

> Given that games are fundamentally formal constructs and not,
> generally, communicative media (unlike other art forms, which are
> generally communications *mediated* by formal constructs) that may
> mean that videogaming may be headed down the path trod by chess
> and go--towards elites and no mass acceptance.

To support your hypothesis, have you considered exemplars that are
numerically-intense and have only a small, devout following?  For
example, Outpost and Puerto Rico are elitist boardgames.  Or Phoenix
Command, a pencil and paper small arms tactics sim with a 1000-sided
hit location table.  Although purely strategic, Chess and Go are
still two of the most popular boardgames on the planet.

As for the viability of videogaming: When the top rentals of the
week are Spiderman 2, Red Dead Revolver, and a slue of sports
titles, it's a safe bet that the masses accept.

The trend of videogames is not elitism--it's speciation.  While some
species embody complex rituals, to target some brand of elitism,
others are simple, for the masses.  Videogames speciate to target
subcultures, because economy of scale does not imply efficacy of
entertainment.

David