[MUD-Dev] Do players enjoy farming? (was MUD-Dev Digest, Vol7, Issue9)

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 16:58:24 CET 2004

Rayzam wrote:
> From: "Paul Schwanz" <pschwanz at comcast.net>
>> Rayzam wrote:

>>> That assumes that monster farmers want to do those other
>>> activities.  That the activity is the enjoyment. I think when
>>> players enjoy farming, its and ends and means thing. They like
>>> the end: more levels, abilities, spells, gold, whatnot. That
>>> lets them compare more favorably to other players, or beat them
>>> in PvP combat.  By farming, a player can safely advance to
>>> become bigger and badder. It's slow gain, but with no risk, so
>>> its a good paradigm for the risk-averse individuals. Being a
>>> farmer or a miner isn't the same thing, because while it may be
>>> the same sort of means, its not the same end.  What heroic
>>> farmer defeated the dragon by having the best crop yield?

>> The one that used the proceeds from that crop yield to buy the
>> best dragon-slaying spear along with the services of the best
>> dragon-slaying trainer?

> And then spent time not farming to get the dragon-slaying skills
> to slay the dragon. Which means training combat, not being an old
> mcdonald.

Your design will dictate what it means.  You seem to be assuming a
skill-use based system or an XP-for-bashing-monsters based system.
Those assumptions are certainly typical and understandable, but
there are other possibilities.  One such possibility is to use gold
to buy time with skill trainers.  Perhaps you can schedule your
farmer to visit these skill trainers while you are offline.  My
point is that it is entirely possible to have farming and mining
lead to the same end via the same sort of means so that the more
successful farmer might indeed have a better chance at defeating the
dragon.  Of course, perhaps this isn't desireable for your
particular design, or for mine either.

In any case, introducing literal farming or mining doesn't mean you
cannot still have low-risk, controllable critter-bashing if you
want, but some people seem to think that such an undertaking is not
enjoyed by players and I don't think I disagree.

--Phin