[MUD-Dev] Python script as stand alone MUD server...

Mats Lidstrom mats.lidstrom at torpet.ac
Fri Jan 23 11:39:57 CET 2004

From: "Jason Slaughter" <rexrhino at hotmail.com>

> I am wondering if there are any issues I am not anticipating with
> using Python? I am also wondering why there isn't more excitement
> about Python in the MUD community (am I just caught up in the
> Python hype)?

Here I go about Pike again. Muahaha :)

I can't speak for Python since I'm not using it myself. I looked at
it and didn't like it. But I understand your reasoning since I were
thinking the same when I decided to stick with Pike. Since I've
played on LPMud's since '89 I didn't hesitate many nanoseconds about
using Pike. I've written a MUD server and I'm currently working on
moving it into the 3D scene by writing my own client and rewriting
the server. Hard work, but I'm focusing on the tools and hoping to
get someone to help me a bit with the 3D content :)

It got threading and sockets. And everything else you might need.
(http://pike.ida.liu.se/about/pike/modules.xml) I actually don't
know why it's not more used, but I suspect one reason could be that
the syntax is still not 100% and there can be small (but irritating)
changes between versions. The high end focus of the developers could
scare off users too.