[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Tom "cro" Gordon cro at alienpants.com
Tue Jul 20 18:48:36 CEST 2004

Adam Martin wrote:
> Sean Howard wrote:
>> "Mark Mensch" <mark at larping.net> wrote:

>>> But when the group's numbers go from 100 to the tens of
>>> thousands, all sorts of personality types collide - and the
>>> picture is (often entertaining but) rarely pretty.

>> Not true. You will NEVER have a single community with tens of
>> thousands of participants. The number of required connections
>> between each person would be astonomical. It will break down into
>> smaller, more managable communities.

> Huh? "Never" is surely far too strong. I have participated in
> communities that were very obviously thousands strong without
> being broken into smaller chunks.

I've been lurking on the list - but this requires a response. I help
run a single over-arching community that has several hundred
thousand members (on average 200,000 users connected each night) -
and they all identify themselves as such.

I've also help to create more than one community of online game
players of more than 50,000 people, all of whom identify themselves
as part of that community (this is one of the things I do for a
living).  Whilst it is true they may never occupy the same 'space',
they're all part of the community as a whole.

Have you considered the communities that surround games like Counter
Strike? Everyone may not know everyone else, but they all identyify
themselves as part of the Counter Strike community.

Regards,
Tom "cro" Gordon
CEO, AlienPants Ltd