[MUD-Dev] [NEWS] Gaming Open Market

Peter Keeler scion at divineright.org
Thu Jun 24 01:23:32 CEST 2004

Quoting "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at soe.sony.com>:
> From: Peter Keeler

>> I'm less interested in opinions about the morality or
>> profitability of trading virtual goods as I am in the health of
>> the actual market.

> I don't understand what the distinction is.

> They are parasites, and that is exactly the reason why their
> business is fragile, their transactions are insecure and their
> profits are low.

I'm interested in how GOM's disappearance in non-Second Life markets
will affect the other marketplaces such as IGE and eBay. I'm curious
about whether this will cause any of the PayPals to look into
writing anti-fraud policy for virtual goods, whether it will cause
the IGEs to start requiring EULAs to use their service, and
particularly whether the whole idea of trading virtual goods is
going to go anywhere interesting in the coming years. Will we ever
see a virtual currency in the "real" currency exchange, perhaps?

> But I don't think that's a morality thing.

You're right. It's not. The fact that everyone involved in any of
this might be scumbags and parasites has absolutely nothing to do
with the fact that any of it is happening. I just want to know
what's happening and why.

                       --    scion at divineright.org    --
   ICQ: 1824934 || AIM: ScionAltera || MSN: ScionAltera || YIM: scionaltera
     == PGP Public Key: http://www.divineright.org/~scion/pete_key.txt ==