[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture.

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 15:05:08 CET 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Paul Schwanz wrote:

>> Thus, giving black marks against a character would serve as
>> strong incentive for that character to stay off of the issuing
>> city's territory, but that's hardly the same thing as a global
>> license to PK.  Provided that there are plenty of other
>> territories available to the player, I cannot see how this would
>> equate to griefing.

> And then how does this have any effect? If you can just stay out
> of these other cities at minimal inconvenience to yourself, where
> is the justice?  How does this help control PKers who are
> offending other players' out-of-game sense of justice?

> It doesn't. It provides for some potentially interesting
> mechanics, but it does not address the issue the original poster
> was concerned with at all, which is fulfilling an out-of-game
> sense of justice (ie you shouldn't be able to kill me over and
> over just because I'm a dwarf. I am, after all, paying to play
> your game.)

There's certainly a sense of justice for the people in the city
whose laws were violated and who enacted the ban.  Even if the PKer
isn't particularly inconvenienced by having a single city declare
him persona non grata, at least that city no longer has to worry
about him causing further grief in their territory.  If the city has
a treaty with other communities whereby bans are enforced
throughout, then justice gets even more teeth.

In the end, the system functions as a form of access control as much
as a form of justice.  Access control is a concept central to any
security system, yet is curiously lacking at the community level in
many MUDs, which may explain why community members don't experience
any sense of security.

--Phin