[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Tue May 4 03:36:04 CEST 2004

"Threshold RPG" <business at threshold-rpg.com> writes:
> On 28 Apr 2004, at 14:18, Sean Howard wrote:

>> Why not dump the whole level thing altogether? Every character is
>> equal from the time they start to the time they quit.

> It isn't really an RPG at this point, is it?

Why not? Most people would consider Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon
an RPG. Yoda's Stories/Indy's Desktop Adventures? MegaMan Battle
Network? SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters' Clash? Zelda? Way of the
Samurai? Shenmue? Dark Cloud 2?

Likewise, there are plenty of games with levels which aren't
RPGs. Fire Emblem. Deus Ex. Tony Hawk's Pro
Skater. Onimusha. Dynasty Warriors.  Warlords Battlecry. Some people
don't even consider Diablo II to be a "true" RPG.

  (On a side note, the level system works GREAT in games in which it
  isn't the primary game. As a secondary goal, as in the games
  listed above, it can add extra minor depth at relatively low
  developer cost).

Besides... what's in a name? Won't the rose smell just as sweet?
Can't you create a MMOG with all the trappings of Everquest without
the leveling and still have a good game that people would want to
play - perhaps even more so?

> The grind has absolutely nothing to do with a system being level
> based. The grind is an economic model by which many MMORPG things
> the more they make you grind, the longer you play and the longer
> you play, the longer you pay.

Which applies to killing monsters as well. But, don't you think that
there could be a better, more interesting way of approaching the
problem? I mean, if you could provide more content at a regular pace
- maybe an expansion pack every few months at the sake of a lower or
even absent monthly fee - wouldn't that keep players quite a while
just as well? It just requires more effort from the developers. I'd
watch Guild Wars and check out how it works out.

Besides, I've seen grind in completely free games. As much as
pessimism suites me, in this case I can't attribute the grind to
developer greed.

--
Sean Howard - www.squidi.net
Webcomic: A Modest Destiny