[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Wed May 5 12:01:52 CEST 2004

From: Sean Howard

> Yes! Exactly! No matter how many options you have, no matter how
> many ways you can go through a level, the player will ALWAYS
> choose the path that is the quickest, easiest, and has the highest
> rewards. They will min-max EVERYTHING in the game and there is no
> balancing that can help that. The most obvious solution to make
> that min-maxing part of gameplay.

That is not true. MOST players will USUALLY choose the path that is
quickest, easiest, and has the highest rewards. We have many players
who play a race, for instance, that isn't the most effective for
their purposes because they find it more fun. Perhaps you could
argue that they are just min-maxing their fun, but I think the
argument starts to lose some coherent at that point.

--matt