[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Wed May 5 12:09:31 CEST 2004

On May 4, 2004, at 11:30 AM, John Buehler wrote:

> I keep thinking about the 'innovation' of working through the
> challenges of puzzle and card games, and how that level of
> creative challenge can be worked into a MMORPG.

One approach that several early MUDs/MOOs/MUSHs used was to have
embedded minigames.  You had a virtual world that provided overall
context, but within that world was a selection of games.  Tic tac
toe, fizzbin, poker, whatever.  I think a nice selection of
minigames would add quite a lot of spice to big fancy MMORPGs.
Right now, there are usually only a few minigames: Hunt, Duel, and
Free For All PvP.  Oh, and Item Collector and Cybersex.  All of
these can be fun, of course, but a little more variety would be nice
sometimes ;-).

Amanda Walker