R: [MUD-Dev] Levels, classes and choice

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Wed May 5 14:44:17 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 00:48, Ghilardi Filippo wrote:

> Instead games like UO (Ultima Online) and SWG (Star Wars
> Galaxies), even giving many choices, deal with that problem in a
> different way. In those games (even if RPG) you can always undo
> your choices and take a different path anytime without having to
> start again from scratch.

SWG even took it further, you can migrate your vital stats around as
you see fit, over time.  The only unrevokable decision left in SWG
is your race, which unfortunately turned out to be a fairly major
decision, made up front before it can be an informed decision.

I played through one of the Jedi single player "RPG" games a while
back (I forget which, but it's unimportant.)  At one point, you had
to choose the light side or the dark side.  I was so unable to
commit to a decision I saved the game right before the decision, and
played out both paths. :)

However, I'm not sure about the causality of things.  Do maximising
tendencies result in a greater occurrence of depression, or does
depression result in a greater occurence of maximising?

--
bje