[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Threshold RPG business at threshold-rpg.com
Sat May 8 03:19:00 CEST 2004

On 5 May 2004, at 16:01, Sean Howard wrote:

> You've taken a single thing I've said out of context. When I said
> that they were equal, I meant that they never leveled up, not that
> they couldn't collect new skills, items, or status.

There is no difference. That is just a different type of levelling
up. Also, that certainly means a character is not the same from the
time they start to the time they quit.

> You start out doing 5 damage and having 20 hitpoints from the time
> you start until the time you quit - letting other factors control
> your pace and power.

If you always do 5 damage and have 20 hit points, then what's the
point of finding items, improving skills, etc?

Useless skills and useless equipment aren't very much fun.

>> An Animal Crossing character "levels up" by getting a bigger
>> house, making a lot of money, collecting sets, filling up the
>> museum, catching a coelacanth (yes, we played a lot of Animal
>> Crossing), etc.

> Exactly. Why can't you make an MMOG like that as well? I mean, AC
> is practically a MMOG as is, only there can only be four
> non-simultaneous players - but they can all affect the world in
> meaningful way and thus affect the playing experience of the
> others.

Sounds good. But the game still has levelling up. :) That's the
point here.

People are not equal forever, from beginning to end, as you
suggested.

> If you don't feel it is an RPG, then don't make an RPG. Make a fun
> game which involves all the players in a unique and interesting
> way. RPGs be damned.

Um..... We're talking about RPGs though. If you want to make
something else, that's wonderful, but the topic was RPGs.