[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Threshold RPG business at threshold-rpg.com
Sat May 8 03:25:43 CEST 2004

On 5 May 2004, at 15:53, John Buehler wrote:
> Sean Howard writes:

>>> Right.  And that means that instead of carrying 7,000 pounds of
>>> equipment, they have 7,000 pounds of equipment in the bank and
>>> they swap back and forth between those sets of equipment as
>>> needed.

>> You make it sound like a chore - and it would be if there were no
>> important decisions to be made. Choosing between six swords that
>> are all roughly the same is not nearly as fun as choosing a
>> sword, axe, bow, spear, or magic staff.

> For me, fudging with multiple sets of equipment is a chore.

Wow. Speak for yourself! :) I find juggling equipment to be a lot of
fun. Picking the right tools for the job is a strategic element that
I find entertaining in games.

I prefer the "7,000 pounds in the bank" method to the "7,000 pounds
of equipment on your person" method because switching every few
fights gets tedious. But planning your "load out" before you head
off to an area or dungeon adds a strategic element that I find
enjoyable.

>> That's not what I meant. They will do it because they can. If
>> games are about making decisions, there will always be people who
>> seek to make the best decisions, and they will publish the
>> results to those who merely just don't want to make bad
>> ones. It's going to happen. It will ALWAYS happen.  It doesn't
>> matter if it ruins the game or not.

> That seems awfully myopic to me.  Surely you have played games
> (other than computer games) where you weren't even interested in
> winning.  You were just playing in order to have fun.

> The reason that you did that was because winning wasn't important.
> You gained nothing by winning.  And so it can be in a computer
> game.  The journey will be fun, instead of making the destination
> the only place of value.

That's nice... in a Mr. Rogers sort of way. :)

In MMORPGs you will always have people who want to compete. People
who want to compete want to win.