[MUD-Dev] Multiplayer Game Logic System

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Wed May 12 11:43:06 CEST 2004

sszretter wrote:

> I am currently planning and doing some basic development testing
> for a multiplayer game.  It is mainly for my learning and
> entertainment.  It is going to be a fantasy based RPG -
> persistent.  Basically an MMORPG, but I dont care if it actually
> ever becomes MASSIVE, I just want it to be multi player.

> What I am looking for is a set of rules (does not have to be
> source code) that defines a basic economy, and a set of rules for
> a basic combat system.

There are two ways to do this.

  1) Copy an existing game.

    Copy the rules from D&D or GURPS or EQ or NWN or some other
    game. It doesn't take as long to copy something as it does to be
    original. Experienced players will recognize your game and feel
    comfortable with it immediately. By using common systems and
    assumptions (the very mention of coins and hit points suggests
    this), you are appealing to the current MMORPG market. But there
    is alot of competition in this market. If you don't have some
    other gimmick (like a great art team), your game will fail. If
    you copy too obviously, you may expose yourself to liability...
    If you want to *look* original, copy from board games. They tend
    to have better mechanics than computer games and would not be as
    recognizable to MMORPG players.

  2) Make up your own rules.

    In my opinion, the best way is to start with very simple ideas
    (chance to hit, random damage, and hit points... an RPS choice
    of stances, cuts, and parries... a dice roll vs. each player's
    skill... etc). Try to create a set of rules that will support
    your idea. Then cut the rules down to something that can be
    played with dice and paper, an Excel spreadsheet, a set of note
    cards, or a quick and dirty game in Flash, Python, or Blitz
    Basic. Play the game over and over. Look for things that work
    and things that don't. Is the game too hard? Too long? Too slow?
    Is it good at first, but too easy as you progress? Is there a
    rule that doesn't make sense? Or one that only makes sense
    sometimes? If you're using an element of chance, such as dice,
    is the probability distribution right? Would open-ended die
    rolls or a different combination of dice work better? When you
    find an apparent flaw, change the rules to try and correct
    it.When you've tweaked and added rules to the point that you
    personally think the game is fun, play it with friends. Get
    their feedback and tweak the rules again. Repeat until it's fun
    and balanced. Warning: this process takes a very long time,
    often more than a year.

There's no magic process that will make a good game. It is something
you need a "feel" for. The hard part for me is isolating what's
wrong. Coming up with tweaks and solutions is easy. Personally, I
find that repeatedly changing the rules and testing the game on a
group of friends produces the best results. I find that it's easier
to work with non-electronic props, like dice, playing cards, note
cards, tokens, etc. I also find that I never have enough time to
finish this process.