More on levels, was Re: [MUD-Dev] What is an RPG?

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Tue May 18 13:04:56 CEST 2004

>From Jeff Fuller:

> Some of the most mild mannered people I've known in real life,
> become l337 d00ds when they log in. They steal camps, kills, and
> loots. They taught fellow players, disrupt others game play, and
> in complain when they were passed up on the latest loot or
> flag. I've also seen the most outspoken of people also be
> extremely timid. Since to many these are role playing games, they
> are generally going to assume some role other then the one they
> are currently in.

This is a very good point. I have read about it, and even
experienced it with some people. The change in personality would
nullify my observation that adults (in real life) are less
interested in KUWTJ, since their real-life personality might not be
the same as their online one. I wonder if anyone has done any
stastical studies about how people's personalities change? Maybe the
target market for a virtual world is not the player, but the
player's alternate personality?

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au