[MUD-Dev] Multiplayer Game Logic System

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Tue May 18 13:51:04 CEST 2004

>From sszretter <sszretter at hotmail.com>:

> combat system.  I am reading a book right now about massively
> multiplayer game design, and it had a system in it that used a hit
> point to coin conversion system.

I read that article (in Massively Multiplayer Game Develpment) and
cringed.  The world (even a virtual one) is not such a neat and tidy
place.

>From sszretter <sszretter at hotmail.com>:

> details, there are things I do not like about the system, and I
> was hoping people out there might be able to point me at some text
> / pages for other economy / battle / loot generating systems.

Other people will be more knowledgable about this than I, but
MMORPGs tend to have an economy where the players determine the
price, either by setting up their own shops or having an E-bay type
system in the virtual worlds.

Years ago, I had an adventure BBS (one-player-at-a-time MUD, since I
only had one phone line), and tried to create such an economy. It
didn't work. I suspect it failed because it didn't have enough
players, approx 100.

If you have a small number of players, I'd suggest just fixing the
prices to whatever seems reasonable, and then tweaking them over
time. If you have a large number of players, see what the MMORPGs
do.

One book you may want to read is "Swords & Circuitry: A designers
guide to CRPGS". It doesn't discuss an economy, but it talks a bit
about handing out treasure. "Designing virtual worlds" discusses
economies for MUDs and some inherent problems, but without specific
algorithms. There are also relevent posts on various web sites, but
I can't remember exactly where. (Try looking through articles on
www.mudconnect.com and www.skotos.net.)

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au