[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Online adventure games

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sat May 22 08:33:02 CEST 2004

>From Amanda Walker:

> It's even worse than that, because players will modify their play
> style based on the game environment itself (leading to a
> Heisenberg-esque dilemma when trying to target a game).  Examples
> from SWG (just 'cause it's a handy example, and Raph's crew might
> find it interesting info):

Good point. I hadn't thought about that. This poses all sorts of
interesting questions about how to design a virtual world so that
"the best" is brought out in people.

> - You can't predict in advance what people will like and not like
> about your particular game.  Even they won't be able to predict
> this in advance.

This is true for all software (and products) in general. It's partly
why a piece of software isn't "real" until 3.0, since 1.0 is a
best-guess by the designers about what the customer wants, 2.0
includes customer feedback and all the stuff that didn't get into
1.0, and 3.0 includes feedback on 2.0.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au