[MUD-Dev] DGN: Rooms, Directions, etc. - any alternatives?

Skane2004 at aol.com Skane2004 at aol.com
Sat May 22 23:32:13 CEST 2004

I realize that just about every mud uses the direction system of
north, south, east, west, up, down -- but are there any
alternatives?  One of the common complaints I hear about are that
people don't like having to memorize cardinal directions from recall
to get places -- or new mudders have a hard time getting where they
want to go because they don't have the directions memorized...  Are
there any muds that don't use NSEWUD?  If so, how does their system
work, and how do they define where a character's location is?  It
seems more realistic to be able to manipulate (or at least see)
what's in the rooms around you...is that implemented anywhere?  How
does it work?  I'm just trying to think outside of the box
here...any suggestions?