[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Online adventure games

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sun May 23 09:38:59 CEST 2004

From: "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"

> They did, and probably do. LPmuds are certainly well fit for
> adventure-MUDs.

Mud connector lists 201 lpmuds. Most of the descriptions that I have
looked through imply a combat focus with quests, socialization, and
some RP. All of them seem to have some sort of combat.  (The
descriptions are not so different from Diku or other MUD bases, so
it's not obvious to me which ones emphasize the adventure game
experience.) Do you know of any particular ones that are adventure
oriented?

Some questions arise, which you may (or may not) be able to answer:
Are there any MUDs without the combat? - other than Regenesis. Of
the 1700 MUDs on MudConnector, what percentage are adventure
oriented? (My previous searches through the MUD descriptions shows
that they're hack-and-slash, PvP, or social in nature.)

> Regenesis was a graphical user-built adventure-oriented MUD.(For
> pragmatic technical reasons according to Bram Stolk; a
> non-fighting game was easier to do with graphics))

Thanks. My searches for "Regenesis" seem to lead to a german MUD,

  http://rb.mud.de (I can't read german and there are no apparent
  graphics)

or

  http://www.lysator.liu.se/mud/bsxmud.html. (Mystery-House style
  graphics)

Is this the one? There are also some previous posts on mud-dev,
which mention Regensis in passing.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au