[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Tue May 25 16:39:13 CEST 2004

From: Malcolm W. Tester

> I'm not sold on how far I should take world persistence.  Should
> they remember until the next reboot or crash?  Should they
> remember real-time for a month, several months, forever?  It
> depends on whether the mud in general works the same way.  For my
> ideas, world persistence is a catch 22.  I need it for shops,
> economy, etc.  However, for quests, I would have to write much
> more content.  If you take a mish mash of the two, it could work
> rather well, but I would have to let go of realism and hold more
> to fun, enjoyment, etc.

Well, how far to take world persistence differs from game to game
but I don't think I'm saying anything controversial when I say that
having persistence defined by a game crash or a reboot is a very
poor idea. A game crash is an accident...the world should be as
little affected by it as possible. A reboot may be needed for
reasons that have nothing to do with world persistence, so why tie
persistence into such unrelated factors?

--matt