[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Mon May 31 18:52:48 CEST 2004

Michael Sellers wrote:

> That despite your disbelief and derision, millions of people with
> many disposable dollars go there every year and spend thousands of
> dollars because they find it to be an enjoyable, meaningful
> experience worth repeating.

> And that, in contrast, we in this industry know almost nothing
> about how to attract and keep that sort of attention.  If we did,
> we'd be doing it.

I'm not sure this is true. We are MUCH better at keeping customer's
attention than Disneyland is. When was the last time someone spent
2000 hours at Disney properties? And some of the biggest MMOs, like
Neopets, appeal to a huge segment of the population. According to
Alexa, it ranks #142 in total web traffic, in the world.

--matt