[MUD-Dev] playing the mob (was: believable NPCs)

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Mon May 31 20:43:08 CEST 2004

Eli Stevens (WG.c) wrote:
> J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> wrote:

> What I want to play is Caesar, not the mob.  Almost nobody wants
> to play the mob; finding a Brutus wouldn't be hard (yeah, I'd like
> to be Brutus, but I'd settle for playing Caesar if the game was
> fun enough ;).

Well, I can see possibilities in being "the mob" ;)

    Mob taunts you

    > say Who said that?
    > say Come and say that to my face!

    Mob laughs and jeers

    > attack mob

Being the godlike swordsman you are, you leap forwards, quickly
despatch 4 of the mob, and step back without taking a scratch. 5
more quickly take their places...

    > north

    The mob is surrounding you. You cannot move.

Howabout putting the mob in the hands of your worst griefer? "Shared
struggle" pulling the playerbase together and all that. I can
imagine it would be quite a struggle (although I also imagine
several MUD's probably have something like this already :)).

Adam M