[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Kiztent Hatepriest kiztent at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 15:35:37 CET 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:17:52 +0000 (GMT), Johan <asteroid at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> --- Kiztent Hatepriest <kiztent at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Of course, I'd question the wisdom in catering to the hardcore
>> gamer. I pay the same subscription fees.  I probably consume less
>> bandwidth and other resources (server memory and CPU), so why is
>> what I want less important?  The logic seems to be that hardcore
>> players and their accomplishments serve as advertisers for the
>> game (look at Furor, he's so cool, if you work hard you can be
>> like him).

> Why is it that casual players always see themselves as the
> victims, that the developers are making the game for hardcore
> gamers and ignore the casual players.

I've never seen myself as a victim, I've just pointed out that
Everquest often caters to the hardcore players.  Of the expansions,
2 are explicitly targetted at the hardcore player (Planes of Power,
Gates of Discord), 1 is explicitly targetted at the casual (Lost
dungeons, Legacy if you want to count that).

>>From a pure revenue perspective, I don't see why encouraging
hardcore players is necessarily a sound business decision.  They
play more, consume content faster and as such require more financial
support, but don't pay additional money, since everyone pays the
same monthly subscription.

> People need to stop looking at everyone else saying "I want that
> too!!". Enjoy the game, play with good people and have a good
> time.  Level when you level. If you cant play like that then go
> power level.  The only one who is stopping you is you :)

I was talking about revenue. I have a good understanding of what I
can take from the game(s) and if they are worth my investment.