[MUD-Dev] The Lag monster...

Harlan Beverly hbomb at fastai.com
Sun Nov 7 01:06:02 CET 2004

--- Amanda Walker <amanda at alfar.com> wrote:

> What leads you to believe that network processing on the PC is a
> bottleneck for gaming at all?

Amanda and List,

Thanks for the continued interest...

I'm a gamer, obviously.  I for one hate LAG more than anything else.
When playing U.O., Everquest, Galaxies, Asherons, and the rest it
was the only thing that frust actually made me throw my mouse.

The burning need is Lag.

The question is, how do I solve it?

There are three ideas on our table: One way is to squeeze a little
out of the client side host processing.  We can do that, but it's a
marginal improvement at best.

Another way is to reduce network traffic: we can do that with
compression and possible active filtering of unnecessary messages
(both inbound and outbound).

A final way is to improve server performance.  We can do that.

Any other ideas?

Also, if you, or anyone else is interested in the idea/opportunity,
contact me privately, and I will gladly send you our Executive
Summary Business plan.

Harlan