[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really! (By R. Bartle)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Mon Nov 8 22:37:08 CET 2004

"Matt Mihaly" <matt at ironrealms.com> writes:

> We do, of course, but I think retention in the good text games
> tends to be somewhat longer than in graphical. There's definitely
> people

I am not very intersted in pure text MUDs, but here are some
hypothetical explanations:

  1. there might be fewer high quality alternatives (or less
  marketing and hype around upcoming games that entice players to
  leave)

  2. there might be fewer comparable alternatives

  3. there might be more variety in the content

  4. there might be more content

  5. smaller systems might get a tighter community

  6. some sense of "intellectual elitism" type of group identity

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/