[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Damion Schubert ubiq at zenofdesign.com
Thu Nov 11 02:47:48 CET 2004

Amanda Walker wrote:
> On Nov 5, 2004, at 9:17 AM, Johan wrote:

>> People need to stop looking at everyone else saying "I want that
>> too!!". Enjoy the game, play with good people and have a good
>> time.  Level when you level. If you cant play like that then go
>> power level.  The only one who is stopping you is you :)

> This is pitted against the fact that the rewards of levelling are
> set up to be appealing.  "Gee, that's a cool looking robe.  All I
> can wear at the moment is burlap.  I guess I have to go grind so
> that I can get enough xp to be able to stop looking like a total
> dork." (SWG has a pleasant fix for this, where making cool stuff
> is level-dependent, but wearing it is not (except for armor)).

> If the game is set up to encourage people to look at everyone else
> and say "I want that too," then a lot of people are going to do
> just that--this isn't a problem with the players; they're just
> following the rules of the game.

It is natural for players to appreciate the unusual.  Greed and envy
are prime motivators, and great ways to keep players emotionally
involved in your space.

If you are disappointed that players have to do an incredibly boring
activity to get something they feel is deeply fulfilling, I'd argue
that the problem is the activity, not the reward.

--d