[MUD-Dev] How many UDP sockets to use?

PizaZ res0zneb at verizon.net
Mon Nov 15 02:04:09 CET 2004

Hello all!

I just found this list. I will be searching through the archives for
the rest of the night.  So far one question I've not found answered
is:

  "How many UDP sockets should I use in my MMOG?"

Right now I'm working on a relatively simple 2d graphical client
server game that will serve as a test bed for future projects.  The
2d client will resemble the old arcade game "Gauntlet" with the
exception of course, that it will support a lot of players
(hopefully) running simultaneously on multiple maps & levels.  The
question I have is what type of UDP socket scheme should I use?  I
believe RakNet (http://www.rakkarsoft.com) uses one UDP socket per
user.  I've not used that library, but it seems to be mature and
highly functional.  On the other hand, one socket per user seems
like a lot of overhead and thus losing one of the benefits of the
connectionless UDP protocol.  Further, with no real fixed range of
ports, configuring a firewall could be problematic for users and sys
admins.

I'm thinking I'll just start off with just one UDP socket per
channel (e.g.  chat, status updates, state updates) and see how that
performs.

Anyone care to offer their advice/opinions/suggestions?

Thanks.
-Mike