[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really! (By R. Bartle)

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Tue Nov 16 12:22:10 CET 2004

Per Magne Bj=F8rnerud <pmbjornerud at gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think the masses want "Virtual Worlds", they just want
> entertainment. Even if they become veterans, they still might just
> want a few hours of the latest entertainment. Mass market
> entertainment may be mutually exclusive for 'sophisticated
> veterans' that want to be immersed in a Virtual World.

Hmm... The masses go on tours, they go to Disney Land, they
travel. Sometimes alone, often with friends or family. Maybe it is
just entertainment, but I think there is a reason for why people
travel to Rome or Greece etc. They also hang out at cafes,
nightclubs, the mall...

Btw, I also totally disagree with Raph's idea that "virtual world"
ought to be seen as an umbrella term. If that is the case we might
as well forget discussing them. You can have a multi-user game
without any coherent world and you can have a virtual world without
any game. If it is a world you are allowed to set your own goals,
and there is a landscape with places to choose from. If it is a game
then the goals are given.

--=20
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/