[MUD-Dev] Cheating in the world

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Nov 18 14:02:15 CET 2004

Shannon Sullivan <sdshannons at gmail.com> writes:

> On the other hand, if you bought 10 swords for 10 gold in the
> north, said "To hell with taking these down to the south", opened
> up a trade window with a friend, pulled the plug on your
> connection in the same instant you accepted the trade, logged back
> on to find that your friend had the 10 swords and so did you, took
> the swords from your friend and opened up a trade of 20 swords,
> pulled the plug on your connection...

This is an interface issue and not "cheating in the world".

> If people like this believe that they can continue to engage in
> such behavior and all you will do is fix the bug (once you find
> out about it) and allow them to go on about their merry way,
> continuing to break your game world in other ways, how do you plan
> to ever have a functional environment with customers that haven't
> left in disgust?

By sound engineering practices?  By implementing transactions at the
right abstraction level?  I suspect that deadlines are pushed so
hard because it is just a game, thus you get these silly
unforgivable bugs.  And yes, your example is unforgivable from a
programmers point of view.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/