[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really! (By R. Bartle)

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 14:13:36 CET 2004

On 24 November 2004, J C Lawrence wrote:

> FWLIW I've never liked the term "mob" and "mobile" wasn't much
> better.

I gave them that name because I was adding the new class of
independently-controlled objects to MUD1 and needed to call them
something NOW.

When I took over MUD1, the monsters didn't move - they were just
like other objects. They couldn't be fought (only other players
could be), but they could be killed or disabled using the correct
command (FEED OGRE WITH LEG, that sort of thing). I wanted to have
mobile objects, so I called them mobiles. The fact the term "mobile"
is used for things you hang from the ceiling that move objects
around in seemingly unpredictable patterns was a happy coincidence.

		Richard