[MUD-Dev] NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds are Designed By Newbies -No, Really (By R. Bartle)

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 12:37:31 CET 2004

On 26 November 2004, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:

> maybe what people consider to be their first MUD is the first
> where they had a good experience that matched their preferences...

I did say "the first virtual world that someone gets into" rather
than "the first virtual world that someone plays". Some people make
aborted attempts to play before they're really ready.

I see your point about predisposition, but although it's a factor I
don't believe it's the main one. The sheer magic, delight and wonder
of their initial experiences is what does it.

		Richard