[MUD-Dev] Distributed virtual worlds

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Sat Nov 27 13:00:32 CET 2004

"Mike Rozak" <Mike at mxac.com.au> writes:

> It would be great if it would work, but I can't see how to make it
> work. The problem is that the book of spells is (a) a 3D model and
> textures, and (b) code. Transferring the book of spells from one
> world to another requires that the model and the code both be
> transferred. Transferring the model is doable. Transferring the
> code

You don't need the code for the most simplest implementations, you
just need a language and the proper ontology and a standardized
vocabulary that can be extended. This is basically what W3C are
doing with their semantic web project http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/ .

In OO terms I think we can phrase it this way: what you need to
agree on are the superclasses. So, if someone hands you a subclass
your server don't know about (because it is using and older
standard) you just treat it as the more abstract class. The
expressivenees of RDF, OWL etc is more flexible and powerful than
this though.

It isn't a perfect solution, but it is doable.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/