[MUD-Dev] UI Design in MMOs

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sun Nov 28 08:32:50 CET 2004

Derek Licciardi wrote:

> Nothing is movable, resizable or customizable.  In an MMO where my
> play style is different from yours, you should be able to get
> comfortable. (group vs. solo, pet vs. no pet, crafting.)

I'll go a few steps further...

I want dual monitor support. I want my 3D view on one screen, and
all the other bits on another. (I could also dream of
tripple-monitor support for 90 degree field-of-view for 3D, but I
don't think that's likely for awhile.)

One feature I just added to my client is that it remembers window
positions (and visibilities) depending upon the "mode" you're in. If
you're wandering around the world, press F1, and the 3D image takes
up most of the screen real-estate. If you're chatting, press F2 and
the 3D image shirinks while the chat window enlarges. F3 for
combat. F4 for misc. (Although I'm breaking the Windows standard of
F1=help by doing this.)

The other bit of UI design theory that games don't seem to get is
that flashy icons and glistening backgrounds are great eye candy,
but they ultimately distract from the important information on the
screen (like the 3D image). (TV news shows ignore this too...)

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au