[MUD-Dev] Re: [ssows] thinking about EQ2 - kill locking

Jason Downs downsj at downsj.com
Tue Nov 30 19:01:59 CET 2004

In message <94232bf104112708396988c6b9 at mail.gmail.com>, Morris Cox
writes:

> Are the Enchanters as useful and powerful as they are in EQ1?

Yes, they are, at least when it comes to raw crowd control.

> I guess that having a group aggro on you for attacking one of
> their own is more realistic though I can see a lone warrior trying
> to take on a group of players.

In my opinion they didn't implement group aggro to make the game
more realistic.  They implemented it in order to avoid a feature of
EQ1 which they viewed as trivializing content: the ability to single
pull with spells such as "lull".  (For the non-EQ aware: "lull"
would be a generic term for a set of skills which reduced the assist
and aggro range of mobs, allowing a player to pull a single mob from
a group of mobs.)

One could argue that the ability to single pull mobs is a valid form
of crowd control, of course, but it simply doesn't exist in EQ2.
I'm afraid that the dominance of one class in the required core
ability of crowd control will lead to the same old "class balancing
wars" that were so common in EQ1.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

--
Jason Downs
downsj at downsj.com

  "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge,
   and where is the knowledge we have lost in information." -- T.S. Eliot