[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Thu Oct 7 23:39:38 CEST 2004

Miroslav Silovic wrote:

> I have to add that these numbers are skewed by the bias in the
> MUSH community (quote, MUSHes are *NOT* MUDs, unquote), meaning
> that MUSHers stay away from MUD listings sites, as well as from
> lists like MUD-Dev ;)

> But even so, there are only a bit more LPMUDs than MUSHes among
> the high-traffic sites on mudconnect. My interpretation of this is
> that MUSHes *are* pretty succesful.

You also need to look at dikumud and other variants. Looking at all
muds with 100+ list shows 24 games, 6 of which are mush's. Plus, if
you actually look at the number of users online, some of which are
easy to get to through websites, then Achaea, Gemstone III, and
Dragonrealms seem have the bulk of the top 100+'s users. A rough
tally of the numbers even suggests that the MUD:MUSH ratio is about
the same as Grind-based vs. Chat-based MMORPGs. (I haven't checked,
but I suspect that the same ratio exists for low-tech MMORPGs like
Runescape and Furcadia.)

It's not a perfect comparison: There are quite a few role-player
MUDs/MUSHs, but I haven't seen anything similar for MMORPGs yet,
except maybe Reclamation (and its predecessor).

Another interesting thing, as I mentioned awhile back, is that there
don't seem to be any puzzle based MUDs/MUSHs, etc. Some MUDs/MUSHs
claim to have puzzles, but then spend 100x as much HTML describing
their classes, combat, magic, and guild features. Uru Live, a
puzzle-based MMORPG, didn't ship.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au